A trip to the City of Gold, Dubai, is never not exciting. From theme parks featuring the biggest movie franchises in the world to iconic landmarks like Burj Khalifa and Palm Jumeirah, Dubai has something of everything. Then you have the glorious desert and the Arabian gulf featuring their subliminal beauty and playing host to numerous adventure sports for thrill junkies.
One such attraction which has been bringing tourists to Dubai for ages is skydiving. Skydiving is the sport of jumping from an aircraft and performing acrobatic manoeuvres in the air under free fall before landing by parachute.
Skydiving In Dubai
In a place like Dubai, which is chock-full of things to do, for attractions to leave a lasting impression on tourists can be an uphill battle. Fortunately, that’s not the case when you’re skydiving in Dubai. This spectacular adventure sport is definitely an experience of a lifetime. The rush of free falling from a great height, aerial view of the stunning Dubai skyline, and the pure joy and thrill of overcoming fear and embarking on an adventure, there’s much to love about skydiving. And when it’s in Dubai, you have even more reasons to be excited.
Just think about it. Jumping from an insane height, the beautiful, expansive ocean in front of you and the inviting desert in the back. That’s an exciting proposition if you ask us!
Given its popularity, skydiving in Dubai is available in various spots and types now. The two major ones being:
1. Outdoor Skydiving: To put it simply, outdoor skydiving is what the professionals would describe as the “real” skydiving. You ride in a helicopter or plane to a great height and jump, with all security procedures in place.
2. Indoor Skydiving: Indoor skydiving, on the other hand, is the simulation of true free fall conditions in a vertical wind tunnel. As the name suggests, this type of skydiving doesn’t involve any natural elements and the risk involved is also much lesser than outdoor skydiving.
Now that you know a little bit of the two most popular skydiving in Dubai options, let’s look at each type individually and help you find the cheapest tickets for skydiving in Dubai.
Outdoor Skydiving In Dubai
On an average, more people are drawn to outdoor skydiving, when compared to indoor skydiving. The reasons are pretty clear:
- Outdoor skydiving gives patrons the actual thrill of falling in high speed towards the ground. In contrast, indoor skydiving merely stimulates falling and you’re not actually falling from a great height.
- There’s no denying that the view you get to experience when you opt for outdoor skydiving is hard to match up to.
- Skydiving requires a lot of courage and it becomes an actual lifetime experience in the process instead of just another thing you did while on vacation.
The main vendor for outdoor skydiving in Dubai is Skydive Dubai. Here are the two options you can choose from:
A tandem skydive is the quickest and easiest way to feel the thrill of freefall at over 120 miles per hour, while securely attached to a well-trained instructor. Skydive Dubai offers tandem skydives at the Palm drop zone and Skydive Dubai Desert Campus. The knowledgeable instructors will guide you through the entire process, and the talented videographers will capture every sensational second so you can relive the experience again and again, and share it with friends and family around the world!
This options allows you to learn to skydive solo with the Accelerated Freefall (AFF) first jump course. This training program is a combination of ground school (theory class) and 8 skydives, and is taught at Skydive Dubai Desert Campus, the world’s largest skydiving school. There are 8 levels to the AFF course - each consisting of a skydive and a set of manoeuvres that you must complete before moving on to the next level. The first 3 levels are conducted with two instructors, and the remaining levels are done with one instructor. After successful completion of the 8-jump AFF course, you will have the skills to skydive on your own under ‘self-supervision’.
The Issues with Outdoor Skydiving
As fun and thrilling outdoor skydiving is, it has a few things going against it. Here are some:
- Taking that jump is not for everyone, even when there’s an instructor involved. It requires a lot of courage and not being able to or willing to participate is not an indicator of you as a person. Don’t put yourself through all that stress when there’s an easier and safer alternative available; outdoor skydiving.
- From a purely financial perspective, outdoor skydiving on an average costs almost !000% more than indoor skydiving. A general outdoor skydiving Dubai ticket costs around AED 2000 while indoor skydiving tickets fall in the range of AED 175 to AED 200. That’s a big difference!
- Availability of tickets/seats for outdoor skydiving can also be an issue as the attraction is quite in demand.
- Unlike indoor skydiving, outdoor skydiving is dependent on the weather conditions. If it rains or there’s a dust storm, your outdoor skydiving experience in Dubai will be cancelled and moved to another time, which might not always suit your plans.
If all this makes you question outdoor skydiving, we have just what you need—indoor skydiving. Let’s look at why indoor skydiving in Dubai is such a hit and how you can get discounted tickets.
Indoor Skydiving In Dubai
Indoor skydiving is a relatively new concept but has quickly caught on in the short time it has been around. To the uninitiated, indoor skydiving involves a vertical tunnel where conditions for a free fall are recreated through stimulation. Here’s a technical breakdown of how indoor skydiving works:
- A vertical wind tunnel with fans at the top draws air through the flight chamber and then pushes it back down the sides through Return Air Towers (RATs).
- The air is ‘turned’ from the RATs into the bottom of the tunnel and back up toward the flight chamber through an inlet contractor.
- The inlet contractor reduces the space the air can travel in, thus compressing and speeding up the air before it reenters the flight chamber.
- The result: a smooth column of air that enables you to fly.
Why Indoor Skydiving In Dubai is Great
Indoor skydiving is definitely an experience to behold. Here’s why:
- Offering the experience of regular skydiving without any of the risks involved, indoor skydiving is the literal definition of the phrase, “best of both worlds”.
- Compared to the outdoor version, indoor skydiving is quite cheap, costing about AED 200 on an average.
- When you are short on time and have a lot of things you want to experience, indoor skydiving is the way to go. Given that it’s relatively safer than outdoor skydiving, putting all the security measures in place doesn’t take that long and the entire process is much shorter.
- Children above the age of 2 can go for indoor skydiving, which is not the case with outdoor skydiving in Dubai.
Great! Now that you know there’s some merit to indoor skydiving, here are two great options for indoor skydiving in Dubai:
Other Adventure-based Attractions Nearby
While we are on the topic of adventure sports in Dubai, let us take this opportunity to present some other exciting adventure sports you can partake in:
Palm Jumeirah Jet Ski Tour
The sea is all yours to race across for 90 minutes as you travel along the legendary Palm Islands and the staggering Atlantis hotel. Catch glimpses of Dubai’s landmarks such as the Jumeirah Beach Residence skyline, Dubai Marina skyline, Sheikh Island, the Dubai Boat, Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Hotel!
from AED 638
Try skydiving in Dubai or any other fantastic option, really! There’s much to explore in this wonderful city. Find more attractions in Dubai at Headout, an online concierge for great attractions and activities.