The Hop-On Hop-Off (HOHO) bus tours are perhaps the most convenient way to explore a new city. Several tourists find themselves picking this mode of transport for its economically feasible and flexible nature. On opting for this service, tourists can take a seat in the bus and see the city at their own leisurely pace without having to rush on to the next attraction. In a Hop-On Hop-Off tour, you can go through various routes, each of which cover a different part of the city, in an open-top bus. Not just that, HOHO tours come equipped with informative narration and interactive commentary. The pass also allows you unlimited trips to your favourite attraction based on the length of its validity.
During your excursion to Singapore, a Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour can give you a panoramic perspective of the city, quite unlike an ordinary taxi or public transport. As HOHO tours give you the flexibility to see the city at your own pace, but provide you with a guide, it is one of the best ways to experience Singapore.
Advantages of Choosing a Hop-on-Hop-off Bus Tour
1. Hop on and off whenever you want
Although rather obvious, a Hop-On-Hop-Off bus makes it easier for you, as a tourist, to explore the city at your own pace. You can plan your trip hassle-free and allot more time to the places you wish to explore. You may also skip an attraction and move on to the next one without wasting your precious time. The Hop-On Hop-Off bus is an ideal way to see the city, whether you’re a tourist with ample time on your hands or someone who running by a clock. Get on as many times as your heart desires, there’s no stopping.
2. Free transport
Having a Hop-On Hop-Off bus pass lets you travel around the city as much as you want at a budgeted price. What’s more, every bus comes with luxurious and spacious seating — which means you can be rest assured that your journey will be comfortable. With numerous buses running between every attraction at short intervals, you can drop your worries about not getting to an attraction on time. Choose your route and enjoy the ride!
3. Engaging Commentary and learning
Every Hop-On Hop-Off bus you take will keep you engaged with a witty and approachable tour guide. The guide will make sure to brief you about any and every important landmark across the city, and couple it with interesting facts that you may have never heard. Any question about history and culture will be taken up without hesitation, so you don’t need to worry about your doubts and queries. Apart from this, the guide will also talk about which landmarks are completely unmissable and those that can be avoided if you’re short of time. You will also be equipped with a pair of headphones for audio commentary in your preferred language, so don’t worry about missing out on any important information!
4. Open-top Deck
If you’re worried about touring the city through a glass door bus and missing out on all the beauty, you can choose to seat yourself on the airy open top-deck of the Hop-On Hop-Off bus. You can enjoy the city from a completely different perspective once you’re aboard the top deck. When seated on the top deck, you will see a breathtaking panoramic view of Singapore, and will have plenty of photo opportunities along the way. You don’t have to purchase a different ticket for the same either, you may simply switch places according to your mood.
Comparing the Best Hop-on-Hop-off Services in Singapore
Two of the biggest Hop-On-Hop-Off tour operators in Singapore are FunVee and Duck Tours. In this section, we will compare the two based on their offered routes, bus frequencies, pricing, as well as any extra inclusions:
1. Number of Days
Both Duck Tours and Funvee have a flexible option for tourists who want to take their time to explore Singapore. Generally, Hop On Hop Off buses give you the flexibility to tour the city over a span of multiple days, sometimes even a week. However, when it comes to a longer pass, it is advisable to pick Duck Tours as they offer a 48 hour pass. However, if you’re short of time, picking a FunVee Tour will help you cover the essential landmarks in a day’s time.
2. Routes and Stops
While FunVee’s precise tour offers three routes that help you cover most of the city’s important attractions, Duck Tours has an elaborate option of exploring Singapore through its seven routes, which take you to every nook and corner.
The City Hopper takes you through a brief route of important attractions in Singapore. These include: Merlion Park, Chinatown, Botanic Gardens, Orchard Road, and Raffles City, among others.
Explore the exotic Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Barrage, Little India, and Arab street during your ride in the Orange route Sightseeing Hopper. This is also the most sought after line in Singapore.
The Shuttle Hopper is most convenient for transfers and important attractions at Sentosa Island.
Duck Tour Routes
The Red Line of Duck Tours takes you through the cultural side of Singapore with important highlights consisting of Little India, Kampong Glam, Chinatown, Boat Quay, and New Financial District.
Considered as the most popular line, the Yellow Line takes you through some of the most important city experiences in Singapore. Explore Fullerton, Clarke Quay, Orchard Rose, Marina Bay, and Botanic Gardens, along with many other attractions.
The Blue Line is meant for those who wish to take the path less travelled. Enjoy the off-beaten sights of Singapore with National Museum, Lavender Street, Sungei Road, Boat Quay, Bugis Street, and Raffles Hotel on this list.
Behind its glitzy city exterior is the old city that came to be known as Singapore. The Brown Line takes you straight into the roots of the Lion City with places such as Clifford Pier, Lau Pat Sat, Tiong Bahru Heartlands, Merlion Park, and The Esplanade.
If you’re vying for a visit to the key places in Singapore without wasting your time, the Green Line takes you through Sentosa and other important landmarks such as Gardens by the Bay, Resorts World Sentosa, Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer, and others in Sentosa Island.
The Safari Line (Zoo) makes sure you have an easy transfer to Singapore Zoo, River Safari or Night Safari, from wherever you board.
The Safari Line (Bird Park) also promises fuss-free non-stop transfers to Jurong Bird Park.
FunVee City Routes
• City Hopper (Green Route): 20-30 minutes
• Sightseeing Hopper (Orange Route): 60 minutes
• Shuttle Hopper (Red Route): Four times in a day
• Red Route: 20-25 minutes
• Yellow Line: 15-25 minutes
• Blue Line: 30 minutes in the morning, 60 minutes in the afternoon
• Brown Line: 30 minutes in the morning, 60 minutes in the afternoon
• Green Line: 40 minutes
• Safari Line Zoo: Set timings for City-to-Zoo and Zoo-to-City, check here
• Safari Line Bird Park: Thrice a day (to and from)
A two day pass for Duck Tours may come off slightly pricey at S$62.90, however this pass includes unlimited transfers for two days, two attraction tickets of your own choice, and access to seven routes.
A one day pass at FunVee costs S$22.90, with unlimited hop on hop off for a day.
Here are a few extra benefits of booking a hop on hop off bus in Singapore:
- Audio guided tours available in English, Chinese, Russian, German and Korean.
- Open Top Deck.
- Unlimited hop on hop off along with tour commentaries in more than 12 languages.
- Open top deck.
- Bus stops located conveniently over 63 attractions.
- Includes free guided walking tours on the tickets.
Hop-on Hop-off Tickets
Hop-on Hop-off Singapore Bus Pass
• Discover Singapore at your own pace with bus stops convenient to you.
• Attractions across two routes and over 38 stops.
• Visit Suntec City, Singapore Flyer, Marina Bay Sands among a few on the list.
FunVee 1 Day Hopper Pass
• 24 hour Hop-on- Hop Off FunVee City Hopper, Marina Hopper and Sentosa Hopper.
• Audio guides available in the following languages: English, Chinese, Russian, German, Korean.
Hop On Hop Off Tour Tips
- The duration and frequency of the bus depends on the traffic conditions in the city. It is best to reach before time to avoid missing the bus.
- Food and beverages are not provided on board unless stated otherwise. You may request for water that is provided complimentary on board.
- Avoid riding on the open-top deck without adequate protection if you’re travelling in summer or winter as the temperature can get harsh.
- Make sure you take a look at the timings of the attractions before you plan your trip in order to be there on time.
- It is best to keep a track of the time table and routes to make the most of your trip.