A river-themed wildlife park where you can experience the majesty and thrill of some of the most iconic rivers in the world while meeting some really special animals? We’re not making any of this up! River Safari Singapore is very much real, and is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Singapore. This 12-hectares wildlife reserve is packed with previews of the freshwater habitat of historic rivers like the Amazon, Mississippi, Mae Klong, Nile, and more, among other exciting things!
The reserve features a setup which allows you to explore the wildlife park on foot and end the experience with a magical cruise that traverses the gentle waters of the park, where you can spot countless aquatic animals like the endangered giant Mekong catfish. You will also get an opportunity to meet the resident giant pandas Kai Kai and Jia Jia at the Giant Panda Forest!
Are you excited about the prospect of having your very own jungle experience? Our Singapore River Safari guide will answer all your questions about the experience and leave you with some useful tips. Let’s begin.
Why Visit River Safari
Housing over 6000 animals across 200 species, and 400 plant species, River Safari Singapore is an experience you just cannot miss! Out of the 200 animal species present in River Safari, 40 are threatened, making the place even more special. Guests can explore the park on a thrilling adventure along the Mississippi, Congo, Nile, Ganges, Mekong and Yangtze rivers, where they can get a good look into the freshwater aquariums and the rich walk-through exhibits.
Beyond being just a fun experience for families, River Safari Singapore takes active part in global conservation efforts pertaining to many species of flora and fauna. With their captive breeding programmes, the park management hopes to give aquatic animals, such as the manatee and the giant river otter, a fighting chance. Also, in an effort to make the conservation of endangered species a global effort, there are many interactive in park activities such as enrichment programmes, interdisciplinary trails, and workshops. The main idea behind these immersive experiences is to engage the senses and provide a unique, hands-on experience for everyone.
What to expect at River Safari Singapore
1. River Zones
The most popular, and for good reason, attraction in River Safari Singapore is the River Zones. You’ll get to experience the following iconic rivers:
- Mississippi: This exhibit features a range of North American wildlife from the world’s fourth longest river. Packing a powerful bite are the alligator snapping turtles and their cousins, the common snapping turtles.
- Congo: The Congo River, also known as the Zaire River, is one of the largest rivers in the world and the deepest (220 m at one point!). Here you can discover colorful fish species like the Congo tetra, giant freshwater puffer etc.
- Nile: Regarded as the longest river in the world at 6800 km, the Nile’s water resources are shared by about 11 countries, particularly Egypt and Sudan. Here you'll discover the African arowana, tigerfish, and giraffe catfish.
- Ganges: Strange, mysterious, and holy at the same time, the Ganges river is revered by Hindus and home to the unusual Indian gharial, frog-faced softshell turtle, and the intriguing goonch catfish.
- Mekong: Mekong River, the closest to Singapore, is the lifeline of countries in the region like China, Burma, Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. It is a powerful source of clean energy, and humongous river life like the monster giant catfish and the freshwater stingray.
- Yangtze: The Yangtze River is the longest river in Asia and third in the world. It has been deeply intertwined with the history, culture and economy of China for centuries. Exhibited here are the ancient sturgeon, giant salamander and the Chinese alligator.
2. Giant Panda Forest
Another key attraction of River Safari Singapore, the Giant Panda Forest offers a delightful little experience. Here, you can meet lovable giant pandas Kai Kai and Jia Jia in a climate-controlled biodome that simulates their natural habitat. The Giant Panda Forest is also home to the rare red panda, so watch out for them while here.
3. River Safari Cruise
End your day of exploration and discovery by hopping on the River Safari Cruise to enjoy and relax after a fun-filled day. Look out for scenic photo opportunities as you gently cruise along the upper Seletar reservoir. The best part? There’s no height restriction for the cruise, which means everyone in your family can come along for this adventure.
4. Amazon River Quest
Experience the marvelous and mysterious Amazonian boat adventure with Amazon River Quest. Designed to simulate a journey along the Amazon River, your keen senses will come into play here. Try and spot the well-camouflaged and elusive wildlife hideen among the lush vegetation. Highlights include the Brazilian tapir, jaguar, and the giant anteater!
5. Squirrel Monkey Forest
The Squirrel Monkey Forest will give you ample opportunities to get really close to these small, adorable animals, native to Central and South America. Unlike other animals, squirrel monkeys are generally quite curious, which means you won’t have to strain your eyes looking for them in the camouflaged natural surroundings.
6. Amazon Flooded Forest
In the world’s largest freshwater gallery, get a special view of remarkable aquatic animals in an underwater ecosystem that mimics the submerged Amazon. You’ll get to witness red-bellied piranhas, manatees, electric eel, black-finned pacu, motoro stingray, arapaimas, and giant river otters!
River Safari Singapore Tickets
River Safari: Skip the Line Tickets with 2 Boat Rides
• Get skip-the-line priority access to Singapore River Safari
• Experience the best of the Amazon with River Safari and Amazon River Quest
• Meet Kai Kai and Jia Jia, the giant pandas at the Giant Panda Forest
• Witness historic creatures at the River of Life, the Nile inspired exhibit, amongst other memorable experiences at River Safari
• Each tickets is valid for 180 days from the ‘Visit Date’ marked on the voucher, which allows you to plan your trip in advance
River Safari with Private Hotel Transfers
• Avoid the waiting line and move straight into the entrance of River Safari Singapore.
• Includes access to the two boat rides in the reserve; Amazon River Quest and the River Safari.
• Enter the Giant Panda Forest and greet Kai Kai and Jia Jia, the two giant pandas.
• Private transfers to and from your hotel.
Super Saver Combo: Night Safari + River Safari
• Go on an exciting nighttime adventure as your discover over 2500 nocturnal creatures with our Night Safari exhibits.
• Climb on the Safari Tram, a 40-minutes immersive experience, that takes you through the reserve park across the 6 different geographical locations.
• Experience the immersive Creatures Of The Night Show, where you can learn more about the nocturnal abilities of the animals.
• Enjoy two amazing boat rides as you explore the secrets of the Amazon: River Safari and Amazon River Quest.
• Meet Kai Kai and Jia Jia, the giant pandas at the Giant Panda Forest.
Super Saver Combo: Singapore Zoo + River Safari
• Skip the line at the entrance of the park.
• This package includes a guided Tram ride with commentary.
• Discover wildlife from different parts of the world! With elevated platforms, underwater galleries, and glass observatories, enjoy watching the animals frolic from great vantage point.
• Get access to the Giant Panda Forest and meet the cute red pandas.
• Tickets also include two boat rides; Amazon River Quest and River Safari.
Super Saver Combo: River Safari + Jurong Bird Park
• Skip-the-line at the entrance of the Jurong Bird Park.
• Use the Hop-on Hop-off tram ride at the park as many times as you desire.
• Discover up to 400 species of birds including 4 species of penguins, several species of pelicans, emus, parrots and many others, and get a special opportunity to hand-feed the birds.
• Discover the secrets of the Amazon with our special boat rides; River Safari and Amazon River Quest.
• Meet Kai Kai and Jia Jia, the giant pandas and the rare red pandas at the Giant Panda Forest.
Park Hopper: Singapore Zoo + River Safari + Night Safari + Jurong Bird Park
• Skip-the-line at the entrance of the park, and get all day access to the zoo (including our special boat rides, River Safari and Amazon River Quest) across all the 10 zones, with re-entries.
• Witness over 2,500 fantastic nocturnal creatures in their natural habitat, in our Night Safari exhibits.
• The Safari Tram, a 40-minutes immersive experience, will take you through the reserve park.
• Engage in the interactive Creatures Of The Night Show, where you can learn more about the nocturnal abilities of the animals.
• Discover up to 400 species of birds including 4 species of penguins, several species of pelicans, emus, parrots and others.
• Unlimited access on the Hop-on Hop-off tram ride at the park.
River Safari Singapore Information
10 AM to 7 PM (last entry is at 6:30 PM)
The reserve is open every single day of the year.
River Safari is located at 80 Mandai Lake Road. Here are some convenient and popular ways to get there:
- Public Transport: If you’re taking the North-South MRT line, you can take the train to any of the MRT stations below. From there, you can hop on a connecting bus that will take you straight to River Safari:
• Khatib, NS14 : Mandai Khatib Shuttle
• Choa Chu Kang, NS4 : 927
• Ang Mo Kio, NS16 : 138
• Woodlands, NS9 : 926 (Operates on Sundays and public holidays only)
• Marsiling, NS8 : 926 (Operates on Sundays and public holidays only)
- Mandai Khatib Shuttle: This loop shuttle service from Khatib MRT Station (NS14) to the River Safari Coach Bay is available daily every 20 mins, from 8 AM to 7: 20 PM. Travel time takes approximately 15 minutes, subject to traffic conditions. Payment can be made by EZ-link or NETS FlashPay card.
- Mandai Express: If you're coming from the heartlands, Mandai Express is a convenient and affordable way to get to and from River Safari.
- Safari Gate: Hop on the Safari Gate bus, which will take you straight to River Safari. To purchase your tickets and get more information, drop by:
• Safari Gate Suntec City (#01-330)
• Safari Gate Singapore Flyer (#01-06)
- Self-drive or Taxi: River Safari is about a 30-minute drive from the city. If you’re coming by taxi, there are two convenient drop-off points at the zoo. You can choose from two different routes to get here:
• Via Central Expressway (CTE) from the City
• Take the PIE toward Bukit Timah Expressway (BKE)
If you’re visiting River Safari Singapore with toddlers, seniors, or someone with limited mobility, you’ll be pleased to know that there are plenty of guest services available at the wildlife reserve. Please visit the Visitor Services Booth located at the main entrance to avail the following services:
1. Stroller: S$9
• Child must be 3 years old and below, with a maximum weight of 15kg
• Rental is non-refundable
2. Electric Scooter: S$35
• For safety reasons, guests exceeding 150kg, pregnant women, or guests below 16 years old are not allowed to ride the electric scooter
• Penalty fees will be imposed for any damages and/or loss of key to the electric scooter
• Rental is non-refundable
• Wheelchair is complimentary for guests with limited mobility
River Safari Singapore Rules and Regulations
To stay safe and make the most out of your trip to River Safari Singapore, here are the rules and regulations you should follow:
- While it might seem enticing, please stay away from all areas that are marked restricted. Venturing into prohibited areas is not allowed and can be highly dangerous.
- Be compassionate towards all the animals you come across. No feeding or teasing animals is allowed.
- Make sure that you’re seated and have your hands and feet inside the boat at all times during the amazing boat rides.
- River Safari is a smoke-free park. If you absolutely must smoke, please proceed to the designated smoking area located outside the park.
- You are not allowed to film footage inside the park for commercial use, unless you have official consent from River Safari.
- Your pets or plants are not allowed inside River Safari Singapore. This is done to ensure that the animals inside the park stay safe.
- No flash photography is allowed inside the park. Please switch off the flash before you take any pictures, because the bright light can disturb the animals.
River Safari Singapore Tips
- There’s a lot to see and do at River Safari Singapore, so it would be best to plan your day in advance. You’ll need at least half a day to completely explore the park, so plan accordingly and make the most out of your visit!
- While there’s no official best time to visit River Safari, our recommendation would be during the winter or early summer. Since there’s a lot of walking around to do, avoiding the sun is in your best interest.
- If you are visiting the park during the summer, don’t forget to bring your sunglasses and lather up your skin with sunblock or sunscreen.
- If possible, try and visit the park during weekdays since it’ll be less crowded as compared to the weekends, giving you time to explore everything at your own pace.
- River Safari is primarily a wildlife reserve so make sure to apply some insect repellent before you start exploring the park.
- Bring along adequate drinking water for your trip to River Safari. There’s a bit of walking involved and you don’t want to be dehydrated. If you didn’t bring any water, there are water dispensers you can get drinking water from.