Pompeii Ruins Reopening Date - 26th May 2020
Pompeii reopened on 26th May 2020 and the venue will continue to monitor upcoming COVID-19 developments closely. Safety and hygiene will be at top priority providing a secure and comfortable environment for all visitors during this period.
Safety Measures Followed at the Pompeii Ruins
To ensure maximum safely within the venue, all visitors will be subjected to temperature checks by means of a thermal scanner. It is also mandatory to wear a mask throughout the visit as well as to maintain physical distance from other visitors for 1m outdoors and 1.5m indoors. This will apply for both on site and outside.
Further information regarding safety measures and visiting arrangements, will be provided to visitors through monitors present at the entrance and via signs as well.
Hand sanitiser gel dispensers will be present at the entrance and in toilets as well.
Booking Pompeii Tickets Online
When making a purchase online, visitors will have the option to select an entry time slot. These are scheduled every 15 minutes, allowing a minimum of 40 people per slot. The ticket must be displayed at entrance, either on a smartphone or by carrying a printed copy. Visitors are advised to reach on-time, although a delay of up to 10 minutes from the reserved time slot will be tolerated.
“Domenica al museo“, which provided a free ticket every first Sunday of the month, is currently suspended.
Guided Tours at Pompeii
Guided tours are possible between 9:00 and 13:00, which will be conducted by guides authorised to operate within the Campania Region.
Groups will be able to access the site according to the following limits:
- Groups of independent visitors, up to a maximum of 5 people
- Groups accompanied by guides, up to a maximum of 10 people
- To know more regarding the route and buildings that can be visited, click here.
Discover the best Pompeii guided tours available.
Booking Pompeii Tours & Tickets Online
We recommend buying Pompeii tickets online for a contact-free experience.
New Rules & Restrictions at Pompeii
- Piazza Anfiteatro will be the only entrance in operation, while visitors may exit from Piazza Esedra or the Porta Marina, via the Temple of Venus. The visit will follow a unidirectional route which will be clearly indicated on the site.
- As a result of maintenance works, the Porta Marina exit has been temporarily suspended, and the toilets of both Porta MArina and Piazza Esedra are closed. The Autogrill refreshment point and its toilets are closed. However, the toilets of the Antiquarium will continue to remain open.
Pompeii - Revised Opening Hours
- From Tuesday to Sunday : 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ( last entyr 5:30 pm)
- Closed on Monday
For more information about visiting Pompeii, refer to links given below released by the venue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the Pomepii ruinsreopened on May 26th, 2020 after the COVID-19 lockdown.
Yes, the timings are as below:
Tuesday to Sunday
9 am to 7 pm
Last Entry 5:30 pm
Closed on Monday
It is mandatory to wear a mask throughout the visit as well as to maintain physical distance from other visitors for 1m outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Groups of independent visitors, can have up to a maximum of 5 people. Groups accompanied by guides, can have only up to a maximum of 10 people. For a full list of new rules, click here.