The David T. Nederlander Theatre, often shortened to Nederland Theatre, is one of the oldest Broadway theatre, having been established in 1921. Formerly known as the Billy Rose Theatre and National Theatre, the Nederland is one of the Nederlander Organization's nine Broadway theaters and was built to honor David T. Nederlander, the father of the Nederlander family. The Nederlander Theatre was constructed by Walter C. Jordan and designed by architect William Neil Smith at a cost of $950,000. The original interior was designed in early Renaissance style, with classy Italian walnut and gold adornments. From the wood in the half round, there were intricate carved figures of classic subjects rising out. In 2008, the venue was refurbished and transformed with luxurious furnishings including carved wooden panels on the walls of the mezzanine.
The venue has hosted a number of popular shows, including Julius Caesar, Cyrano de Bergerac, Private Lives, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Rent, Guys and Dolls, Brighton Beach Memoirs / Broadway Bound, Newsies, Honeymoon in Vegas, Amazing Grace, Disaster!, Motown: The Musical, War Paint and many others. Presently, the theatre is gearing up to host a production of 1990’s romantic blockbuster, Pretty Woman. Also, here’s a handy link to the seat availability and real time prices for different seats/dates for Pretty Woman on Headout.
Excited about watching Pretty Woman? Our Nederlander Theatre seating chart guide is here to help you find the best seats in the theatre and other useful bits of information to make the most of your experience.
Address: The Nederlander Theatre, 208 W 41st St, New York, NY 10036, USA
Seating Capacity: 1232
Mezzanine : 562
Check out the Nederlander Theatre Seating Chart..
Pretty Woman - Playing At The Nederlander Theatre
After debuting in theatres almost three decades back, Pretty Woman is making its long awaited Broadway debut at the Nederlander Theatre. With previews starting on July 20th 2018, the show opens for audiences on August 16th. Pretty Woman: The Musical first premiered in Chicago in March 2018, with most of the same team coming together for the Broadway production. The book for the musical is written by Garry Marshall and J. F. Lawton. Marshall, who was also the director of the movie, was supposed to direct the musical before his untimely death in 2016. He was replaced by Jerry Mitchell of Kinky Boots and On Your Feet fame. Mitchell has also choreographed the musical with set design by famed architect and designer, David Rockwell. The music is being created by Bryan Adams, by far the biggest name attached to this project. The Canadian rocker is joined by longtime songwriting partner, Jim Vallance to create a score influenced by 80s and 90s rock music.
In her Broadway debut, Samantha Barks stars as Vivian Ward, with the big task of filling Julia Roberts shoes. Barks is well-known in the West End circuit for playing Eponine in both the stage and film version of Les Miserables. Joining her in the lead role of Edward Lewis is Andy Carl, who previously starred in Rocky the Musical and Groundhog Day.
The plot of the Broadway production of Pretty Woman is similar to the movie with the story being adapted to current times. The story follows Vivian Ward, a prostitute with a heart of gold, and Edwards Lewis, a womanizing corporate raider. These unlikely souls fall in each others way under less than ordinary circumstances and sparks fly! What follows is whirlwind romance that will sweep you off your feet and restore your faith in the power of love!
Tues & Thur: 7 and 8 PM
Wed & Sat: 2 and 8 PM
Fri: 8 PM
Sun 3 PM
These timings may be subject to change during the holiday period. Click here to check out the real-time seat availability and pricing for the Nederlander Theatre.
2 hours and 35 mins with 1 intermission
Seating in both the sections, Orchestra and Mezzanine levels is accessible by elevator.
Wheelchair Accessibility: Wheelchair locations are available in the orchestra section of the theatre (pending availability). You may purchase one wheelchair and three companion seats per order if available.
Restroom: Male and female restrooms are located on the mezzanine level of the theatre. The Nederlander Theatre is equipped with one wheelchair-accessible restroom on the orchestra level (house left), as well as wide stalls in the male and female restrooms on the mezzanine level.
Concessions: There is one bar located on the theatre’s orchestra level, one bar located on the mezzanine level, and one bar located on the third floor level where refreshments be purchased. Beverages are permitted in the auditorium.
Assisted Listening Device: Headsets for sound augmentation are available at the theatre, free of charge. Photo identification is required as a deposit.
- Although animals are not permitted in the theatre, an exception is made for guide dogs and service animals. Please inform your ticket sales representative if any accommodations are required.
- For guests with limited mobility, there are seats available with folding armrests (“Aisle transfer seats”) in the following locations: Orchestra: B1, B2, K1, K2, O114, Q1, Q2 and Mezzanine: DD101, EE115, NN27, NN28.
- The theatre is fully air conditioned and it can get pretty chilly inside. Dress appropriately and bring a pullover or jacket just in case.
- Pretty Woman is two hours and thirty-five minutes long and there’s one intermission so that you can visit the restroom or the lounge.
- Make sure you reach the theatre at least 30 minutes before your show timing. Latecomers will be seated at the discretion of management.
The Nederlander Theatre is located at 1208 West 41st Street, New York. Being in the popular Theatre District and in close proximity of the renowned Times Square means you’ll have plenty of transport options to choose from. Here are some of the popular ones.
By Bus: M104, M10, M27/M50, M6, M7 or M42. If you prefer travelling by subway, you can take the 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, N, R or S train to Times Square or the A, C, or E to Port Authority.
By Car: Some of the popular parking spots close to the Nederlander Theatr include Edison ParkFest, Impark, LAZ Parking, and Bright Management.
Restaurants near Nederlander Theatre
Planning a quick bite before or after the show? We have curated a pretty neat selection of some of the best restaurants near the Nederlander Theatre.
1. Red Lobster: This lively chain restaurant serves American seafood standards amid New England-themed decor. .
2. Wasabi Sushi & Bento : Visit this light-filled, modern chain branch for bento boxes, sushi and hot Japanese dishes.
3. Ruby Tuesday:: Enjoy a peaceful meal at this casual chain with American fare, featuring burgers, a salad bar, cocktails & a convivial vibe.
4. Wolfgang's Steakhouse: This comfortable, spacious upscale chophouse chain serves dry-aged steaks, seafood & wine in an elegant setting.
5. The Counter: A contemporary chain with customizable gourmet burgers, including vegetarian, plus beer & wine.
6. Dallas BBQ Times Square: This bustling local chain serves big plates of saucy meats & other classic fare plus jumbo margaritas.
Check out our theatre district restaurants guide for even more fantastic dining options in and around Broadway district. It has everything you're looking for. And more.