Guggenheim Abu Dhabi, a museum of modern and contemporary art is all set to showcase the most important international artistic achievements of the 20th and 21st centuries. The collection will feature works of artists from across the globe in a variety of mediums produced since the 1960s. With a special emphasis on West Asian, North African and South Asian art, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi aims to foster the interconnected nature of today’s art world, where cross-cultural sources of inspiration and transcultural exchange has become the standard .
What is Guggenheim Abu Dhabi?
Guggenheim Abu Dhabi will be a transnational museum dedicated to contemporary art and culture and will showcase some of the most important artistic achievements the world has seen till date. Located on Saadiyat Island, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi will be a part of the Saadiyat Cultural District, an emerging global cultural hub that houses a world-class concentration of museums, galleries like Louvre Abu Dhabi and performing art venues.
The museum was originally scheduled to open in 2012, however, construction has been delayed several times and it is predicted to open in 2020.
- Designed by Pritzer-prize winning architect Frank Gehry
- The largest Guggenheim amongst the 3 others located in New York, Venice & Bilbao.
- Developed in collaboration with The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
- 13,000 square metres of gallery space and 18,000 square metres of exhibition space
- A 350-seat theatre, a library, a research centre and F&B and retail outlets
The Fascinating Architecture Of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi
Designed by Pritzer-prize winning architect Frank Gehry, Guggenheim's distinctive asymmetric cones are designed to emulate the UAE's ancient wind-towers, which both ventilate and shade the exterior in a fitting blend of Arabian tradition and modern design. These cones that surround the building act as both entrances to the museum and exterior exhibition spaces.
Surrounded almost entirely by water, the museum overlooks the gleaming waters of the Arabian Gulf and Saadiyat Cultural District making for a terrific view. This strategic position also serves as a manmade breakwater configured to protect the island’s pristine north beach zone.
The interiors are inspired by industrial studio spaces with a new gallery layout unlike conventional museum spaces. The layout is fashioned with a central atrium clusters of galleries layered over 4 floors, connected by glass catwalks bridges around a covered courtyard allowing for sui generis curatorial flexibility. This will be of tremendous help in organising exhibitions at dimensions like never before. The design also incorporates sustainable elements suitable to the region, with natural cooling and ventilation of covered courtyards derived from the concept of traditional wind towers found throughout the Middle East. Apart from its gallery space, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi has an exhibition space of over 18,000sqm, alongside a 350-seater theater, an advanced conservation laboratory, and a library.
In summary, the Guggenheim building defines an avant-grande approach to the museum visitor experience and presents an innovative vision for viewing contemporary art in the context of a desert landscape. Though it is still under development, the
Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Tour Deconstructed
What can you expect on a Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Tour? Here's a short glimpse.
- Unveil the curtains of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi and you will acquaint yourself with a distinct and diverse collection of contemporary art and visual culture, depicting local, regional, and international platforms.
- Witness modern exhibits from across the world in this massive 3,20,000 square feet facility. These artworks display a whole spectrum of mediums, subjects and art interpretations, mainly from the 1960s to present day.
- The boldness of contemporary art displayed here will be reconciled with conservative Muslim values and respect Abu Dhabi's culture and be in line with the national and Islamic heritage.
- Being a transnational museum, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi aims to accentuate the importance of cultural exchange while remaining respectful towards the region’s culture and heritage
- Explore various permanent collections alongside other intriguing exhibitions, educational programs and inspiring modern art on a grand scale.
A visit to Guggenheim Abu Dhabi is bound to leave you in awe with its stunning location, impressive architecture that seamlessly blends modern and traditional Arabian designs, and of course, the cross-disciplinary collection of contemporary art.
Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Opening Hours
Since the Guggenheim Museum Abu Dhabi is not open as yet, the daily timings cannot be ascertained.
Getting to Guggenheim Abu Dhabi - Directions
- By Bus : Bus - 10, Bus - 103, Bus - 11 have stops near Guggenheim Abu Dhabi
- By Car : To see driving directions to Guggenheim Abu Dhabi from your location, click here.
Guggenheim Museum Abu Dhabi - Frequently Asked Questions
Is Guggenheim Abu Dhabi open yet?
No. Guggenheim Abu Dhabi is still under construction and is expected to open soon.
When did the construction of Guggenheim Abu Dhabi start?
The construction of Guggenheim Museum Abu Dhabi began in 2011 but was soon suspended. As of 2019, no completion date is available, though construction is still on.
When will the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi open?
The dates for Guggenheim Museum Abu Dhabi's inaugration is not out yet. But, keep watching this space for more information.
Are kids allowed inside Guggenheim Abu Dhabi?
Like every other Guggenheim Museum, kids are allowed inside the Abu Dhabi museum as well. There will be reduced prices for kids as well.
More Abu Dhabi Guides
Looking out for more things to do in Abu Dhabi? Here are a few of our detailed Abu Dubai guides that will help you plan your vacation better!