A trip to the City of Gold, Dubai, is never not exciting. From theme parks featuring the biggest movie franchises in the world to iconic landmarks like Burj Khalifa and Palm Jumeirah, Dubai has something of everything. Then you have the glorious desert and the Arabian gulf featuring their subliminal beauty and playing host to numerous adventure sports for the thrill seeker within you. One such experience which has been bringing adrenaline junkies to these regularly is skydiving in Dubai.
1. Is skydiving in Dubai a popular experience?
Skydiving in Dubai is a spectacular adventure sport that is definitely an experience of a lifetime. The rush of free falling from a great height, aerial view of the stunning Dubai skyline, and the pure joy and thrill of overcoming fear and embarking on an adventure, there’s much to love about skydiving. Just think about it. Jumping from an insane height; the beautiful, expansive ocean in front of you; the manmade islands hugging the Dubai coast and the inviting desert in the back. That’s an exciting proposition if you ask us!
Fortunately for us, Dubai is home to some of the best skydiving facilities in the world. From the biggest skydiving school to numerous indoor skydiving centers, you can easily find a skydiving experience that suits you best. This has resulted in Dubai becoming a prominent skydiving location in the world; hosting many skydiving competitions and bringing folks from all over the world to experience the sport on its shores.
2. What are my skydiving options in Dubai?
All your skydiving needs and expectations will easily be met in Dubai. Both outdoor and indoor skydiving options are available in Dubai.
1. Outdoor Skydiving: To put it simply, outdoor skydiving is what the professionals would describe as the “real” skydiving. You ride in a helicopter or plane to a great height and jump, with all security procedures in place.Skydive Dubai runs the biggest outdoor skydiving school in the world in the deserts outside Dubai.
2. Indoor Skydiving: Indoor skydiving, on the other hand, is the simulation of true free fall conditions in a vertical wind tunnel. As the name suggests, this type of skydiving doesn’t involve any natural elements and the risk involved is also much lesser than outdoor skydiving. iFly Dubai and Inflight Dubai Indoor Skydiving are the two most popular indoor skydiving centers in Dubai.
3. What are the different outdoor skydiving experiences I can enjoy in Dubai?
On an average, more people are drawn to outdoor skydiving, when compared to indoor skydiving. The reasons are pretty clear:
- Outdoor skydiving gives patrons the actual thrill of falling in high speed towards the ground. In contrast, indoor skydiving merely stimulates falling and you’re not actually falling from a great height.
- There’s no denying that the view you get to experience when you opt for outdoor skydiving is hard to match up to.
- Skydiving requires a lot of courage and it becomes an actual lifetime experience in the process instead of just another thing you did while on vacation.
The main vendor for outdoor skydiving in Dubai is Skydive Dubai. Here are the two options you can choose from:
A tandem skydive is the quickest and easiest way to feel the thrill of freefall at over 120 miles per hour, while securely attached to a well-trained instructor. Skydive Dubai offers tandem skydives at the Palm drop zone and Skydive Dubai Desert Campus. The knowledgeable instructors will guide you through the entire process, and the talented videographers will capture every sensational second so you can relive the experience again and again, and share it with friends and family around the world!
This options allows you to learn to skydive solo with the Accelerated Freefall (AFF) first jump course. This training program is a combination of ground school (theory class) and 8 skydives, and is taught at Skydive Dubai Desert Campus, the world’s largest skydiving school. There are 8 levels to the AFF course - each consisting of a skydive and a set of manoeuvres that you must complete before moving on to the next level. The first 3 levels are conducted with two instructors, and the remaining levels are done with one instructor. After successful completion of the 8-jump AFF course, you will have the skills to skydive on your own under ‘self-supervision’.
4. Is outdoor skydiving for everyone? What should I keep in mind before deciding my options?
Though outdoor skydiving in Dubai is completely safe and secure, it may not be everyone's cup of tea. As fun and thrilling outdoor skydiving is, it has a few things going against it. Here are some:
- Taking that jump is not for everyone, even when there’s an instructor involved. It requires a lot of courage and not being able to or willing to participate is not an indicator of you as a person. Don’t put yourself through all that stress when there’s an easier and safer alternative available; outdoor skydiving.
- From a purely financial perspective, outdoor skydiving on an average costs almost !000% more than indoor skydiving. A general outdoor skydiving Dubai ticket costs around AED 2000 while indoor skydiving tickets fall in the range of AED 175 to AED 200. That’s a big difference!
- Availability of tickets/seats for outdoor skydiving can also be an issue as the attraction is quite in demand.
- Unlike indoor skydiving, outdoor skydiving is dependent on the weather conditions. If it rains or there’s a dust storm, your outdoor skydiving experience in Dubai will be cancelled and moved to another time, which might not always suit your plans.
If all this makes you question outdoor skydiving, we have just what you need—indoor skydiving. Let’s look at why indoor skydiving in Dubai is such a hit and how you can get discounted tickets.
5. Why go for an Indoor Skydiving experience In Dubai?
Indoor skydiving is a relatively new concept but has quickly caught on in the short time it has been around. To the uninitiated, indoor skydiving involves a vertical tunnel where conditions for a free fall are recreated through stimulation. Here’s a technical breakdown of how indoor skydiving works:
• A vertical wind tunnel with fans at the top draws air through the flight chamber and then pushes it back down the sides through Return Air Towers (RATs).
• The air is ‘turned’ from the RATs into the bottom of the tunnel and back up toward the flight chamber through an inlet contractor.
• The inlet contractor reduces the space the air can travel in, thus compressing and speeding up the air before it reenters the flight chamber.
• The result: a smooth column of air that enables you to fly.
6. What makes indoor skydiving in Dubai perfect for newcomers to the sport?
Indoor skydiving is definitely an experience to behold. Here’s why:
- Offering the experience of regular skydiving without any of the risks involved, indoor skydiving is the literal definition of the phrase, “best of both worlds”.
- Compared to the outdoor version, indoor skydiving is quite cheap, costing about AED 200 on an average.
- When you are short on time and have a lot of things you want to experience, indoor skydiving is the way to go. Given that it’s relatively safer than outdoor skydiving, putting all the security measures in place doesn’t take that long and the entire process is much shorter.
- Children above the age of 2 can go for indoor skydiving, which is not the case with outdoor skydiving in Dubai.
7. How can I purchase indoor skydiving in Dubai tickets?
Indoor skydiving tickets can be purchased online on Headout, an online travel concierge that makes the best experiences in the world accessible on your phone. With 24x7 support and best price guarantees, Headout makes booking tickets for valuable travel experiences that extremely secure and seamless affair.
8. What are the other adventure-based experiences in Dubai ?
While we are on the topic of adventure sports in Dubai, let us take this opportunity to present some other exciting adventure sports you can partake in:
Palm Jumeirah Jet Ski Tour
The sea is all yours to race across for 90 minutes as you travel along the legendary Palm Islands and the staggering Atlantis hotel. Catch glimpses of Dubai’s landmarks such as the Jumeirah Beach Residence skyline, Dubai Marina skyline, Sheikh Island, the Dubai Boat, Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Beach Hotel!
from AED 638
You can discover many more adventures and experiences in Dubai if you check out our comprehensive Dubai travel guide. Check out some of the most popular thrilling experiences that Dubai and the neighboring regions have to offer.