Budapest, nicknamed the ‘City of Spas’, is Hungary’s largest city and its capital. This beautiful and picturesque city enchants anyone that visits and hence, has become one of Europe’s best cities to visit. With its rich heritage, incredible architecture, seductive skyline, mouth-watering food, countless thermal spas and electric nightlife, Budapest has a lot to offer to its visitors. Some of the most popular attractions and places of interest in this wonderful city include the Hungarian Parliament Building, Buda Castle, Hungarian National Gallery, Fisherman’s Bastion and many others.
But with so many places to go and things to see, it can get a little daunting and a little expensive for travellers and newcomers to find out what exactly to do and how to go about doing them in their limited time in Budapest. That is where the Budapest Card or the Budapest City Pass comes in. The Budapest Card is the easiest, most cost-effective and efficient way of exploring the city.
What is the Budapest Card?
The Budapest Card, in short, is a traveller’s dream. The Budapest Card offers visitors the most seamless and easy way of experiencing and uncovering everything the city has to offer. This pass is essentially a package of services and discounts for users in Budapest. By purchasing this pass, one can use the public transportation for free, get access and discounts on some of the most popular attraction in the city, avail two free walking tours and also get food and drinks at a cheaper price! Sounds less like a card and more like a wish-granting genie right?
Budapest Card - Attractions & Museums
- Budapest History Museum
- Hungarian National Gallery
- Hungarian National Museum
- Lukács Thermal Bath and Swimming Pool
- New Budapest Gallery
- Memento Park
- Kiscelli Museum
- Vasarely Museum
- Bartók Béla Emlékház
- Museum of Hungarian Customs and Finance Guard
- Hungarian House of Photography
You can find the Complete List of Attractions, Museums and Tours under the Budapest Card here
What Convenience Factors does the Budapest Card bring?
A vacation abroad usually involves a lot of planning, pre-booking, budgeting and all of that stuff which people don’t really want to do but have to. A Card like this one helps eliminate all of these problems and offers great advantages to its users, such as:
The Budapest Card is essentially a key to the city. By offering free entry to a bunch of places and discounts on others, this card helps you save a lot of money. Without the pass you would have to individually purchase a ticket for each attraction, which would cost you way more than if you bought the pass. Also, this card allows you to use the public transportation for free, meaning that you save on unnecessary expenditure and can therefore spend your money on meaningful things.
As mentioned earlier, planning a trip abroad takes a lot of energy and time, and can leave you drained. From figuring out what you want to do to purchasing tickets to planning dates, all this can get quite cumbersome and frankly quite annoying. A Card alleviates all these issues as they are valid for several days and are hence flexible. In the mood to go to a museum today? No problem. Want to visit the spa at night? Fret not, for your card is valid for all these attractions for a chosen number of days.
Ease of Transportation
One of the greatest advantages of the Card is that it gives you access to the public transportation system in Budapest (buses, trains, subways). You don’t have to worry about getting fleeced by a local taxi driver or waste your time waiting for an Uber. Just find out where you need to go and use the local transport at your disposal.
Pick and choose
With the Budapest Card, you are free to pick and choose the places you want to visit From the long list of attractions and iconic places, find out which ones pique your interest and only go for those.
Another great advantage of this card is that it helps you save a lot of time on your trip. Without the card, you would be required to stand in line at the attractions and purchase your tickets from the counter. With this card, simply ignore these long lines and head straight for the entry gate! It may not seem like much of an advantage but during the tourist season, some of the lines to enter can go on forever and take forever to get through. Save yourself the trouble and the time and use the card.
Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Budapest Card?
To help you understand how beneficial this card exactly is, in terms of savings, you can go through the cost-benefit analysis shown below and see for yourself.Budapest Card: €19
Price of each ticket individually:
• Budapest History Museum: €6.38
• Hungarian National Gallery: €5.74
• Hungarian National Museum: €5.10
• Lukács Thermal Bath and Swimming Pool: €8
• New Budapest Gallery: €3.2
• Memento Park: €4.8
• Fundacio Antoni Tapies: €7
• Kiscelli Museum: €5.10
• Vasarely Museum: €2.5
This is a difference of €21.82, which translates to 53% savings! And this is counting the prices of only 8 attractions. The card offers way more to choose from along with free transportation, discounts on food and drinks as well as 2 free walking tours! This clearly shows that the Budapest Card helps save a ton of money while travelling and exploring the city.
Is the Budapest Card Worth it?
The Budapest Card is the perfect way to get your way around and explore this amazing city. With free and discounted entry tickets across a number of attractions, this pass caters to the tastes of all travelers.
The Budapest Pass is perfect for those who are travelling on a budget and are looking to the make the most of their time in Budapest. With the pass, one would be able to cover most of the city’s popular attractions in a limited time frame. The pass comes in various options, depending upon the duration for which you want to use it - 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, 96 hours and 120 hours. This gives you plenty of flexibility and allows you to experience and soak in the city at your own pace.
This pass is especially beneficial for those travelling with children. As we all know, kids like to see everything there is to see in a new place and they want to do so without waiting. This pass helps you solve both these problems. With skip-the-line access to most attractions, you and your family will be able to enjoy everything Budapest has to offer, without wasting precious time standing in queues.
All in all, it is a great buy and definitely worth the 19 euros spent!
How and Where to buy the Budapest Card?
You can purchase the Budapest Card on Headout and have the voucher in your email as soon as you complete the purchase. With this voucher, simply redeem the physical pass at any of the following locations:
- Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport, Terminal 2A
- Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport, Terminal 2B
- Deák Ferenc Square, 1052 Budapest, Sütő u. 2.
- Ice Rink Building, 1146 Budapest, Olof Palme sétány 5.
Budapest Card Highlights
- Enjoy free and discounted access to Budapest’s most famous attractions
- See the city at your own pace with the various validity options - 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days and 5 days
- Move around the city using the public transportation system for free
- Get discounts on delicious food and exotic drinks at multiple bars and restaurants
- Learn about Budapest on two complimentary walking tours
Handy Tips for using the Budapest Card
• Before purchasing the pass, make a list of all the attractions and places you want to visit in Budapest. Once you have created the list, cross check with the list of places covered by the card and see whether majority of the attractions you want to visit are actually covered by the card. They most probably will be, but this exercise will help you get a better idea.
• If you are purchasing any of the multiple day passes (2, 3, 4 or 5 days), try planning out your days in advance. Figure out which attractions are close to each other so you can visit each place with relative ease. We all know it’s no fun running through the attractions only to make it to the next one on time.
• Budapest is greatly connected by its public transportation system. Make sure you make good use of this as your pass gives you free access to buses, trains and subways.
• The winter in Budapest is pretty harsh and the summer can get quite hot. If you are travelling during either of these seasons, make sure you carry appropriate clothing.