Barcelona, the second largest city in Spain is something straight out of a fairytale, with colorful landscapes as far as the eye can travel, a looming castle beckoning visitors, and a generally bohemian vibe that escapes most big cities. All this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to truly experiencing everything Barcelona has to offer. The Barcelona Express Card offers visitors a chance to explore this magnificent city with ease. Invest in a Barcelona Express Card and get a ton of benefits ranging from free transport to discounted entry fees at many of the city’s major attractions. Curious? Read on to discover what’s so great about a Barcelona Express Card.
What is the Barcelona Express Card?
Barcelona Express Card is a godsend for tourists who don’t wish to spend too much on just travelling from one place to another and paying exorbitant fees at every place they visit. The card grants the holder unlimited access to Barcelona’s public transport and also reduced admission fees and discounts at over 100 sights, stores and restaurants for two entire days!
Barcelona Express Card Inclusions
There’s no denying that the Barcelona Express Card is a steal and if you’re visiting the city, it's a must get. If you need some more convincing, here’s a handy list of everything the Barcelona Express Card affords you:
- Up to 60% off on admission fees for tours, attractions and cultural points in the city from an expansive list of over 100 places of interests and activities.
- Unlimited transport on the public networks including Barcelona metro, city buses, Catalan Railways (FGC), suburban trains, trams, Barcelona airport metro and train and Renfe suburban trains in Zone 1 for 48 hours.
- Free train ride and bus 46 ride from the airport El Prat de Llobregat to the city centre and back.
- Discounted deals at restaurants, shops and nightclubs across the city.
- Discounts on rentals such as bikes, scooters, jet skis and more.
- City map with the benefits and metro plan.
Purchase Barcelona Express Card
2 Days Barcelona Express Card
- Free public transportation
- Up to 60% off on tours, attractions admission and cultural points
- Over 100 attractions to choose from
- Restaurants, shops and nightclub discounts
- City Maps and Guides
How to Use the Barcelona Express Card
Sold on the awesomeness that is the Barcelona Express Card? Great! Here’s a step-by-step look at how you can go about first, getting the card, and then, using it to explore and discover the glorious city of Barcelona.
- Purchase the Barcelona Express Card online.
- On your purchase, you will receive an e-mail voucher which you can use to pick up your Barcelona Express Card at one of the many issuing offices. Here are the issuing offices you can pick up your Barcelona Express Cards from:
- Any Tourist Information Office: from 8.30 AM to 8.30 PM.
- Plaça de Catalunya: basement opposite the El Cortes Inglés (Daily 8.30 AM - 8.30 PM, 26th December and 6th January, from 9 AM to 3 PM)
- Plaça Sant Jaume: Ciutat, 2 (Mon-Fri: 8.30 AM - 8.30 PM, Sat: 9 AM - 7 PM, Sunday and holidays: 9 AM - 2 PM).
- Airport Terminals T1, T2: 8.30 AM to 8.30 PM.
- Sants Station: pl. Països Catalans s/n.
- Mirador de Colom: plaça Portal de la Pau, s/n.
- Plaça Espanya: Plaça Espanya, s/n - Avinguda Maria Cristina (open daily 9 AM to 3 PM. July-September, daily from 8.30 AM to 7.30 PM).
- Sagrada Familia: Plaça de la Sagrada Família (open daily 9am to 3pm. July-September , daily from 8.30 AM to 7.30 PM).
- The great thing about the Barcelona Express Card is that you don’t need to choose a specific date on which you must use the card. The card is active for two days from the day you first use it and once you use it for the first time, you have 48 hours till the card expires. Also, please note that the card is valid for one calendar from the date of purchase.
Now that we have covered how to get the Barcelona Express Card, let’s look at how exactly you can use the card:
• With Barcelona Express Card you get free access to over 25 museums and sights along with discounts at over 70 sights in the city. To receive a discount at sights, all you need to do is display your Barcelona Express Card at the ticket counter. If you want to avail discounts at restaurants, just your Barcelona Express Card to the waiter before ordering.
• With the Barcelona Express Card, you also get the Hola BCN! ticket, which you can use to access free public transport for 2 consecutive calendar days. The Hola BCN! ticket is valid for the trams, inner-city trains, subway, TMB buses, funicular to the Montjuïc, metro line L9, bus 46, and the train from and to the airport of Barcelona. Just display your Barcelona Express Card upon entering any of the above transport options and you should be good to go!
Attractions Included in the Barcelona Express Card
The Barcelona Express Card gets you access to some of the top museums and attractions in Barcelona. You can check out a list of all the attractions included in the Barcelona Express Card below, along with the potential savings at each.
Attractions and Discounts with Barcelona Express Card
- Barcelona Walking Tours - 50% off
- Barcelona Night Card - 30% off
- Gaudi Experiencia - 50% off
- Gran Gala Flamenco - 20% off
- Caixa Forum - 25% off
- Casa Mila - La Pedrera - €3 off
- Mirador de Colom - 50% off (lift ticket & wine tasting included)
- Casa Batllo - €3 off
- Museu del Modernisme de Barcelona - 30% off
- MACBA - 20% off
- Museu d'Història de Catalunya - 30% off
- Torre de Collserola - 20% off
- Museu Diocesa - 50% off
- MEAM - 20% off
- Palau Guell - 25 % off
- Palau de la Musica Catalana - 20% off
- Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya - 20% off
- La Bodega Flamenca - 10% off restaurant and 15% off show
- Opera Samfaina - 10% off
- CCCB - 20% off
- Fundacio Antoni Tapies - 20% off
- Fundacio Joan Miro - 20% off
- Sant Pau Recinte Modernista - 20% off
To view a full list of attractions and museums, along with their respective discounts available for entry, please check out this detailed list of Barcelona Express card attractions.
Advantages of Getting the Barcelona Express Card
There are a lot of reasons why you should opt for the Barcelona Express Card. If you still aren't convined, then here are some of the top ones listed to help you make a decision:
Savings & discounts: With up to 60% off on many of Barcelona’s top attractions, the Barcelona Express Card is a one-time investment that help you save on a number of occasions for two straight days!
Free public transportation: Often, the cost of travel ends of being the biggest reason for a trip going over budget. Also, finding private cabs in a place where you don’t speak or understand the local language can be challenging. The Barcelona Express Pass gives to free, unlimited access to the city’s robust public transportation.
Multiple day usage: The Barcelona Express Pass is valid for two whole days, which means enough if you’re unable to visit every place on your bucket list, there’s plenty time of time for a round two!
Year long validity: Unlike most passes and discount coupons that come with usage restrictions, the Barcelona Express Pass does things a little differently. If you purchase the card on 2nd January 2018, you have whole year, until 31st December 2018, to plan your trip and use the card.
Planning aid: Navigating a city you haven’t visited before isn’t quite a cakewalk. The Barcelona Express Pass gets you a guide of the city with accurate information about the deals and discounts you can avail using the card. There are also details about their location on the map, which allows you to plan your day better! The guide also comes with pre-planned itineraries you can use to make the most out of your trip.
- The issuing points for the Barcelona Express Card have strict opening and closing times you need to adhere to. Visit this link to find out the opening hours for all the issuing points.
- Please note that your transport pass is not valid for night buses. Plan your day accordingly and make sure to arrange for alternate means of transport if you’re planning on staying out for long.
- In case your Barcelona Express Card or its magnetic strip are defective, you can get a replacement from one of the issuing offices.
Ready to Explore Barcelona?
Check out these guides on the top Barcelona city passes for tourists.